Museum Volkenkunde | Kom naar Leiden voor een wereldreis in één dag!
Museum Volkenkunde conducts extensive research into items from its own rich collection. One of the results of that has been the series of digital publications in this section of the website. Here you can read fascinating background information about selections of objects from the museums collection.
Download the e-pubs as pdf.
- Dressed in ihram. Clothing for the pilgrimage to Mecca
- Painting the past and the future. Barkcloth of the Maisin people of Papua New Guinea
- The East Greenland collections of Gert Nooter (1930-1998)
- Anceaux’s glasses. Anthropological photography since 1860
- Mexican lacquers from Guerrero
- The Great Basin. The 1883 fieldwork and collection of Herman ten Kate
- Jaap van Zuylen. A Dutchman in East Greenland
- Politcal clothing in Afghanistan
- Playthings in porcelain. Siamese Pee
- Layers of meaning. Clothing on the Amur
- Accidental acquisitions. An early Korean collection
- Signs of the times / Times of the signs. Rock art and circumcision in Songo, Dogon country (Mali)
- Kamoro masks from Papua New Guinea
- Qajar dress from Iran
- 'Something nobler was my motive'. Juan Maria Schuver's travels in Africa
- Navigating culture. The permanent exhibition on Indonesia
- The sentiments of love. Indian miniatures from the Vogel collection
- Religious art from the Southeast Moluccas
- Clothing from East-Greenland
- Sensitive plates. Nineteen Chinese paintings on glass from the 18th century